Wednesday 22 September 2010

'My Lie': Why I falsely accused my father


For years, Meredith Maran believed her dad molested her. She talks about "recovered memory," and finding the truth.

In 2007, I was out for a walk with someone I wasn't even that close to. She asked me if I'd ever done anything I was ashamed of and had never forgiven myself for.

Without hesitation I said, yeah, when I was in my 30s I accused my father of molesting me, and then I realized it wasn't true.

She stopped walking and stood still, just staring at me and she said, "The same exact thing happened to me."

When I came home from that hike I started calling people I had known back then and speaking to some of the therapists I had seen during that period.

With the exception of my ex-lover, every other person I talked to who had accused her father in the '80s and early '90s now believed she had been wrong. Being a journalist, you realize there's a story there...

www.salon.com